Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Word, Sworth!

Platform 9 3/4 
Fish and chips at Cafe Diana
We started out the day with three hours of history class, then headed to Cafe Diana for fish and chips, which I loved! After that, we took the tube into King's Cross station, yes, THE King's Cross station, and went to platform 9 3/4! We got pictures there with a cart sticking out from the wall with a plaque saying Platform 9 3/4. It was so cool! That's one thing I can now check off my bucket list :) We went to the British library next and saw some really cool things. We saw original Shakespeare folios, original manuscripts of Jane Eyre, Paradise Lost, and Wordsworth poems. My friend Amanda and I have a joke where we say "word!" then add "sworth," so that it sounds like Wordsworth. She's an English major too, which probably makes more sense :) We even saw Jane Austen's real writing desk with her notebook! We saw one of Beethoven's original violin sonatas, and Handel's Messiah! One of the coolest things on display were the original lyrics to songs by The Beatles like "Yesterday," "Michelle," and "Ticket To Ride." The lyrics to "Michelle" were written on the back of an envelope. It was so cool to see!
     After the museum, we went shopping at Primark. It's always so hot and crowded in there, and today was a little bit hectic. It was a successful shopping day though! I got two pairs of shoes for 7 pounds! We couldn't stay long at Primark, because we had to head back to the center for dinner. We went to see Phantom of the Opera after dinner, and it was so amazing! The first half was good, and then the second half was even better! I thought all the actors had amazing voices, especially Christine. The Phantom was a little shaky on the high notes, but other than that he did great. I just think of Gerard Butler so highly that I don't know if anyone can compare! We all agreed that the set and the music was great though. I think that's been my favorite play/musical we've seen so far! After the play had finished and we came outside the theater, there were four guys setting up for a dance routine, so we stopped and watched them. They did cool break dancing and were really good! It was so fun to stand in the square outside the theater and cheer along with everybody. Today was a really good day :)
     Now, we're all packing for Paris tomorrow!! We're leaving at 6:15 am, which means another early morning. We'll be taking the tube to a chunnel station, called Eurostar, then taking that into the heart of Paris! I'll get to see the Eiffel Tower tomorrow! I won't be taking my laptop with me, so I won't be blogging for the next three days. I'll be sure to write down what we do though, so I can post about it. This is such an awesome experience, and I can't wait till tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment