Thursday, May 3, 2012

British Museum & Other Cool Stuff

Rosetta Stone
     When I was little, I loved reading about ancient Egypt. Ever since I watched the movie "The Mummy" with Brendan Fraser and Rachel Wiesz, I've loved learning about that kind of stuff. If you haven't seen that movie yet, you should! I was really into mummies, and even got my own mini mummifying kit, where you could make your own mummy doll! So, naturally, I was really excited on our way to the British Museum today. A major scene from "The Mummy II" is actually shot in the British museum as well. We had three hours of class in the morning first, and I was struggling to stay awake. We've had pretty full days lately, so we haven't had much time to do our homework. Pretty much all of us were up late last night reading Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, which is written in Old English, so it's not fun like reading The Hunger Games. After 3 hours of class, we took the tube to Tottenham court road. We go pretty much everywhere on the tube. The British Museum features artifacts from all over the world, artifacts that the British empire has collected over the years. There are exhibits from ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome, Asia, Africa... As soon as we stepped through the front doors I booked it to the ancient Egypt rooms. The Rosetta Stone was the first thing you saw walking into the main room, which was pretty sweet. There were a bunch of cool relics and statues, but I was ready to see the mummies! We went to the rooms upstairs and saw sarcophagi, and baboons, snakes, and cats that had been mummified. We saw human mummies too! They were pretty cool. They have on display one man whose body was preserved, because he died in the hot sand. There's even still hair on his head! We went into the Greek and Roman rooms and saw chunks from the Parthenon. There's actually more of the Parthenon in the British museum than in Greece! Our professor wanted us to go look at ancient European artifacts, and we did, but I just don't think that stuff is as cool as ancient Egypt or Rome or Greece. I was thinking that my little brother Colton would have loved the stuff on the ancient Greeks, because he really likes learning about that kind of thing. One of the coolest things was this man they found in the peat bogs called the "Lindow Man." They found out that he probably died around 70 AD! It's pretty crazy how his body was kept together just by staying buried in some cold mud. One of our professors, Nick, (our other professor is named Matt, and they're brothers) said that if anyone were ever to ask him what his secret to greatness is, he'd say it's the Lindow Man :) We only had a couple hours in the museum, which is definitely not enough time! Hopefully, if we have some free time towards the end of the trip we'll try and go back there.
On a walk through Hyde Park
Peter Pan Statue
     Along with our English and history classes, we have a one-credit class called London Walks. Some of the walks we do together as a group, but some we're required to go off and do on our own. Today, we had to go do one of the required walks, so Katherine Hart, Amanda Ricks and I decided to go walk around Kensington Palace and gardens. It was basically a walk through Hyde Park, so I loved it! It was raining just a little bit, and Katherine called it "powder sugar rain." Will and Kate live in Kensington Palace, so it was cool to walk past and think that they're in there! I was surprised that there weren't any guards standing around like at Buckingham Palace. Amanda and I decided to try tebowing by the river (we just call all water here the Thames), then we took pictures by a statue of Peter Pan. I love, love, love Peter Pan, so I was way happy!
     About half of the group went to see Matilda the musical tonight, so a group of us girls went to a place called Ben's Cookies to get pazukis, or cazukis, or fazukis, or whatever you call them! They call them cookie monsters here, which is way easier to remember. The Matilda goers said that it was awesome, so I'm excited to go! I'll be able to go with another group on May 15. Plays and musicals here are super cheap, so we're trying to go to as many as we can without breaking our budget. I'm sorry for the lack of pictures! I've been putting all my pictures on facebook, but if you don't have facebook, hopefully someone who does can show you what I've been up to! There'll be more to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment