Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Hampton Court

     Today, we went to Hampton Court Palace, the favorite palace of King Henry VIII. He had about 60 other palaces, but this one was his favorite. He's the king that had 6 wives, and beheaded almost all of them, because they only had daughters. His second wife, Anne Boleyn, is famous, because she was the mother of Queen Elizabeth. While I was walking around, I kept thinking of an SNL skit where Kristen Wiig acts like a tudor girl and calls herself the "other, other Bolyen girl." The palace was amazing! We put on these medieval-looking robes that made me feel like we were in The Village, and walked around the palace, listening to our audio tour. We toured the king's kitchens, his private rooms, the great hall, and also the William and Mary part that was added on later. The tour said that the servants had to prepare dinner for 600 people! I thought, man, I'm never going to complain about washing the dishes ever again! King Henry himself even came walking into the courtyard when we were there, and we got a picture with him! He was actually kind of intimidating! My favorite part of Hampton court was the gardens. They were so beautiful and huge! I took about a hundred pictures, so don't worry. There's a maze in the gardens that we were all excited to go through, but it cost about 4 pounds, so we decided not to. We had a nice sunny day too, so it was perfect! I decided to wear my rain boots for the first time today, and of course when I do, it doesn't rain. I walked through all the puddles though :)


Hanging out with the wooden courtiers 

Beautiful gardens at Hampton Court




     Tonight, a few of us went to see The Avengers. I won't give anything away... but I will say it was awesome! I'll probably end up seeing it again in the States. I feel like seeing a movie here was an important cultural experience. You should all go see it... when it comes out in America :)
   

No comments:

Post a Comment