Sunday, April 29, 2012

Get Stuck In

     Ollo! Today has been a pretty great and relaxing Sunday. We all got to sleep in for the first time since we've been here, and it felt awesome. We all went to the Britannia singles' ward, since we hadn't been assigned to wards yet. It took us about a half hour to walk there, but we walked through Hyde Park so I loved it. Church was a two-hour block, since the ward is pretty new. Apparently it's the only singles' ward in Europe! It was kind of funny though, because the bishop had a Spanish accent, and one of the counselors was American. I am surprised at how many Asians and Africans are here. I guess I just expected everyone to be white!
     We went straight home after church on the bus (not a double decker), and then had to help with dinner for the last time. I love the people in my crew! It took us about an hour and a half to clean up after, because we were quoting homestar runner and teen girl squad, and singing Saturday's warrior. It was so fun! After dinner, we met for a fireside in our classroom to be assigned to our wards. We're all being assigned to the Wandsworth stake south of the Thames. A bishop from one of the wards came to speak to us about some of the differences between the church in America and the church in England. He told us that most of the members are converts here, so our knowledge of the gospel from growing up in the church will be a big help to them. He advised us to really make the most of our time here, and to "get stuck in." He said it was like the American equivalent of "go get 'em." He suggested we do things that are uniquely English, things that we can't do in the U.S. His speech really inspired me to make the most of my trip, and to do and see the things I want. Turns out I got assigned into his ward with about five other girls! I'm super excited, because he seems so awesome! We didn't get our callings yet, but he asked us what we're studying at BYU, what we want to do with our major, and callings we've had in the past. He said we'd get an email with our callings before next Sunday. Generally, he said they put girls in either the nursery, primary, or the relief society. Personally, I hope I get put with the little kids! Our ward will start at 9, and we'll take the tube and a train to get there. It will be an early morning, but it will definitely be nice to have time to do some reading once we get home.
     We're going to Stratford on Avon tomorrow, and if you can't tell, I'm pumped! We're taking a coach to get there, which I think is just like a charter bus. This week is going to be jam-packed with stuff. I'll try my best to keep my blog updated! Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment