Thursday, June 7, 2012

This Could Be Para, Para, Paradise

Monday, June 4:

  • I know that Coldplay deserves more than a bullet point, but I have four days to blog about, so this is going to be pretty quick! I went to the Coldplay concert on Monday with Kayley, Mallory, Paige, and Romm. This concert counted as my birthday present to me :) There were other people from the group that went too, but they had bought their tickets earlier, so they were waiting at a different portal than us. While we were waiting in line we met a girl named KayCee who's here with the Theater study abroad group, so she came in with us. The concert was at Emirates Stadium, where the football team Arsenal plays. The two opening acts were by girls named Rita Ora (Britain's response to Rihanna), and Robyn (Lady Gaga-esque). They were both kind of weird ha, but Coldplay finally came out after hours of waiting, and it was so worth it! They sound amazing live, and we were probably within 30 feet of Chris Martin!!! They sang mostly new stuff, but had songs from their older albums as well. They sang all the songs I wanted to hear the most: Princess of China, Speed of Sound, Yellow, Clocks, Viva La Vida, Violet Hill, Up in Flames, Fix You, Every Tear a Waterfall, the Scientist... they sang more songs, but those were my favorites. The concert was very well done--they had five huge screens, lasers, neon lights, confetti, fireworks, balloons... the British know how to put on concerts :) We met these two nice 17 year old British boys at the concert, and went to get food with them after. It was fun talking to them about the differences between school and stuff here and in America. The streets were filled with drunk people after the concert, but they were being super funny and singing Coldplay songs. It was pretty great ha :)

Tuesday, June 5:
  • Today is when Kaylie and I were going to go with the missionaries to teach, but we didn't realize that we were going to the Churchill museum that day. Also, the trip out to Catford would have taken a good hour, and it was just impossible to fit that in our day. I was so disappointed at not being able to go though!! I was so excited to have a missionary experience! When Kaylie and I called the elders from our ward to tell them we couldn't go, I felt like I was an investigator calling to cancel with the missionaries, which made me feel even worse! Hopefully I'll still have the chance for missionary experiences sometime. I'm glad that I've had the chance to help teach Isobel in Young Women on Sundays.  
  • We had class in the morning, then went to the Churchill War Rooms museum in the afternoon. I actually liked this museum more than I thought I would. One part of the museum showed the bunker that Churchill and his cabinet stayed in during WWII. In one room they had a recorded speech from Churchill to the public playing, and I tried to imagine how it would be hearing your Prime Minister on the radio during such a scary time. The other part of the museum was all about Churchill and his life. It was really interesting! I could have spent hours in there!
  • We just finished reading Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf in our English class, and it's set in London. One of our assignments was to take a walk around London to all the places she goes to in the city. It was fun to get out and see the actual places we had just read about. We only got part of the walk done though, because there was a Jubilee parade going on, which made it impossible to go anywhere fast.
  • We eventually made our way back to the center where we ate scones with jam and clotted cream together while we watched the Jubilee parade on TV in the servery. There are just so many people that go to these things that it's impossible to see anything. Some girls in the group got to see Will and Kate and the Queen though! I'm so jealous! Our little English party in the servery was fun though. Alvaro and Thais had decorated the entire downstairs with British flags, so that was fun. And the scones were delicious!   

No comments:

Post a Comment