Saturday, June 2, 2012

Every Snog Begins with Harrod's

      Today was the last day of our free weekend. We started out the morning by going to Borough Market, and it was just as good as I remembered! I got a raclette at the same place that I got the grilled cheese sandwich last time, and the girl standing behind me in line explained a raclette to be a "molten block of cheese" on top of a potato. It was cool to watch how they make them. They cut a big circle of cheese in half, then cook the top of it and scrape it all off onto a potato! It was SO good. It was probably a heart attack on a plate, but it was good :) We also bought some raspberries, and sampled pistachio turkish delight, checken, cheese, and bread with olive oil. My lunch was made up of the samples there ha. I really could spend my whole morning there, but we decided to go to Covent Garden instead.
      Covent Garden is more of a big market than a garden, but it's got a lot fancier stores than a market like Portobello or Camden. I went with Katherine and Lauren, and they had been once already, so they knew a store that had really good macaroons. I got a carmel and sea salt macaroon, and it was delicious! Covent Garden is in the movie My Fair Lady at the part when Eliza Doolittle is selling flowers, and Henry Higgins sings the song "Why Can't the English Learn to Speak?" I thought it was cool to be at the same place as Audrey Hepburn! We walked around the shops in the market for a bit, then on our way back to the tube stop we passed by a frozen yogurt store called Snog. We thought that was a hilarious name for a store! We were making jokes about it, and I asked Lauren if she wanted a snog, and this old lady walking past us gave us the weirdest look haha.
      We took the tube to Picadilly Circus to do a little bit of souvenir shopping, then we headed back to the center to take a break and figure out what we wanted to do with the rest of our day. We decided to go to the V&A (Victoria and Albert) museum, which is a museum about life in Britain from the 1950s up to today. Some other girls in the program told us that you could go and try on corsets and hoop skirts there, so we were wandering around trying to find that part. We ran into a tour guide and asked him where in the museum it was, and we ended up talking to him for about 40 minutes! We talked to him about how the police in America use plastic bullets, Abraham Lincoln, Obama, the debate about the right to carry a gun in America, and how JFK used to be in the mafia. He was a weird guy! He never even told us where to go for the corsets, he just told us things to go look at that might interest us. We walked away from him as fast as we could and left haha.
       We decided we need to save our money for really important things, so, naturally, we decided to go shopping at Harrod's! Harrod's is quite possibly the biggest and most expensive department store in the world. There are six floors, and it's got almost everything you can think of: clothes, food, shoes, TVs, athletic gear, furniture... I thought that maybe I'd look at the scarves just for fun, and they were about 700 pounds. Haha! Lauren and I walked through the clothes part and planned my wedding. Hopefully you're ok with that parents! :) Lauren and I bought cupcakes, so I can say I've bought something from Harrod's.
      We came back home after that and watched a movie called Bright Star, which is about the poet John Keats. It's such a cute movie! Keats is one of my favorite poets, so that made the movie even better. Only 10 days left of the program and it's such a bittersweet feeling! I'm going to make the best of my last week and half here. Oh and happy Jubilee weekend! This weekend is a big holiday called the Diamond Jubilee, celebrating the Queen being on the throne for 60 years. This has only happened one other time in history, and it was during Queen Victoria's time. Pretty cool! Tomorrow there's going to be some fun Jubilee festivities, so it should be fun!        

No comments:

Post a Comment